Is the Friend of the Court allowed to investigate child abuse or neglect?
The Friend of the Court does not have authority to investigate abuse or neglect. Abuse or neglect should be reported to the Child Protective Services (CPS) division of the Department of Human Services (DHS) in the county where the children live.

A judge may consider allegations of abuse or neglect when making a decision regarding custody or parenting time. A party should inform the FOC of any concerns about that abuse or neglect if the FOC is doing a custody or parenting-time investigation. Both the judge and the FOC will rely on Child Protective Services to investigate and evaluate the abuse or neglect allegations.

Show All Answers

1. Can a custody order be changed if both parents agree?
2. Do I need an attorney to file a motion to change custody?
3. Can the Friend of the Court assist parties in reaching an agreement regarding custody?
4. If a motion for custody has been filed, and the parents cannot reach an agreement on their own, what will the Friend of the Court do?
5. May I receive a copy of the Friend of the Court's custody report and recommendation?
6. Is there a cost for the custody investigation?
7. What happens if I have custody according to the court's order, but the other parent does not return the child to me as required by the order?
8. How do I enforce the custody order if the other parent takes our child to another country?
9. Is the Friend of the Court allowed to investigate child abuse or neglect?
10. May my child enroll in my local school, even though the child lives in another school district with the other parent most of the time?