Do I need an attorney to file a motion to change custody?
No. You may file the motion on your own, and the Friend of the Court will provide the forms and instructions that you will need. The court will expect you to follow the same rules that an attorney must follow. There are many complex issues in a custody case, and most people prefer to have an attorney represent them. The FOC cannot file a motion for you, nor can our office provide you with an attorney or tell you what to say in the motion.

Show All Answers

1. Can a custody order be changed if both parents agree?
2. Do I need an attorney to file a motion to change custody?
3. Can the Friend of the Court assist parties in reaching an agreement regarding custody?
4. If a motion for custody has been filed, and the parents cannot reach an agreement on their own, what will the Friend of the Court do?
5. May I receive a copy of the Friend of the Court's custody report and recommendation?
6. Is there a cost for the custody investigation?
7. What happens if I have custody according to the court's order, but the other parent does not return the child to me as required by the order?
8. How do I enforce the custody order if the other parent takes our child to another country?
9. Is the Friend of the Court allowed to investigate child abuse or neglect?
10. May my child enroll in my local school, even though the child lives in another school district with the other parent most of the time?