On May 13, 2021, the CDC released guidance indicating that fully vaccinated people need not wear a mask in most settings, regardless of whether indoors or outdoors. The CDC indicated that fully vaccinated people are at low risk of experiencing symptomatic or severe COVID‐19 infection, and pose a reduced risk of transmitting COVID‐19 to others. Additionally, recent studies confirm that transmission of COVID‐19 outdoors is exceedingly rare.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) issued the revised Gatherings and Face Mask Order, which was effective Saturday, May 15, 2021, at 9 a.m. This order remains in effect through May 31, 2021, at 11:59 PM.
MIOSHA has stated that they will soon post updated workplace rules reflecting the CDC’s recent guidance on face masks for fully vaccinated people. Until then, MIOSHA will consider compliance with the MDHHS order as good faith to comply when responding to employee complaints or conducting investigations related to COVID‐19.
Lenawee County Emergency Order 2020‐14 is rescinded and replaced by Lenawee County Public Health Order 2021‐2.
Summary of MDHHS Gathering and Face Mask Order
- Fully vaccinated individuals are not required to mask indoors or outdoors in most settings.
- Unvaccinated individuals or those who are not yet two weeks past their final vaccine dose are still required to mask indoors. View the full list of exceptions in section 7 of the order.
- Masks are not required outdoors.
- Masks are still strongly recommended for all individuals in crowded spaces, both indoors and outdoors.
- Distancing of 6’ is still required between individuals/groups not of the same household indoors and out.
- A business/entity must make a "good faith effort" to ensure compliance with the indoor face mask requirement by doing one of the following:
- requiring face masks of all patrons and employees.
- posting a sign notifying people that wearing a mask is required unless a person falls into a specified exception.
- asking patrons not wearing masks whether they fall into a specified exception.
- any other policy designed to ensure compliance.