WHEREAS, under MCL 484.1714 (1)(g) the State 9-1-1 Committee is required to provide notice to communication providers of the 9-1-1 surcharges in Michigan; and
WHEREAS, this includes the counties’ 9-1-1 operational surcharge, the state 9-1-1 surcharge, and the monthly prepaid surcharge; and
WHEREAS, surcharge guidelines set by the State of Michigan are:
• Counties may raise or lower their surcharge collection amount once annually.
• Modifications to the surcharge collection amounts go into effect on July 1, of each year.
• Counties requesting to raise their current surcharge, not to exceed voter approved cap, must do so by commissioner resolution.
• Resolutions must be to the State by May 15th.
• The service supplier may retain 2% of the approved county 9-1-1 surcharge to cover the supplier's costs for billings and collections.
• Lenawee County’s surcharge is currently set at $1.18.
• Lenawee County’s surcharge cap was set by voter approval on May 3, 2016 at $3.00 to assess a monthly surcharge of up to 16%, (with all operational surcharges not to exceed $3.00 per month) of the lesser of $20.00 or the highest monthly flat rate for basic single-party telephone service within the geographic boundaries of Lenawee County, beginning July 1, 2016 and continuing through June 30, 2021.
• The revenue thus generated is to be distributed exclusively for the financing of equipment, facilities and all other operational costs of the Lenawee County 911 Emergency Telephone Answering and Dispatch System.
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Lenawee County Board of Commissioners hereby determines the Lenawee County 9-1-1 Surcharge shall be adjusted to $3.00 from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2021; and
BE IT RESOLVED that the appropriate Lenawee County Officials are hereby authorized to sign the necessary documents on behalf of the county and make the necessary budget adjustments to complete this action.
PASSED BY ROLL CALL VOTE of the Lenawee County Board of Commissioners at a regular meeting held Wednesday, May 11, 2016, in the Old County Courthouse, Adrian, Michigan.