Food Service

The Environmental Health Division licenses and regulates food service establishments (i.e., restaurants) to ensure food safety. The mission of the Lenawee County Health Department, as it relates to food safety, is to promote and assess food-safe measures and sanitary conditions at all licensed food service establishments. Environmental Health staff accomplishes this by assuring code compliance and following the practices and principles established in the Food Code to protect the health of our communities.

Food Handler Classes

Every food-handling employee working in an establishment licensed by the Lenawee County Health Department is required to have a current Food Handler Education Card. The food handler must attend a class, either in-person or online, offered by the Lenawee County Health Department. Food Handler Education Cards are valid for two years.

IN-PERSON Classes: Food Handler  In-Person Class Schedule

ONLINE Classes: We now offer an online version of our food handler class and test

Food Manager Certification Classes

Most food service establishments in Lenawee County are required to have one manager certified in food safety every five years. Classes are offered in-person by Michigan State University Extension, and online by several vendors.
IN-PERSON Classes: Michigan State University Extension (MSUE) offers the 8-hour ServSafe Manager Certification Class. Multiple dates and times are available.  Visit the MSUE website or call MSUE at 517-264-5315 with questions.

ONLINE Classes: Online classes are offered by multiple vendors. See flyer for a list. 

Food Service Licensing

The procedure for food service licensing varies depending on what type of food service an individual wants to establish. The two primary types are: 

  •  Fixed Food Service Establishments – examples include restaurants, mobile units, and concession stands.
  • Temporary Food Service Establishments 

Fixed Food Service Establishments

Proposed fixed food service establishments: 

Temporary Food Service Establishments

In order to serve food to the public, it may be necessary to obtain a Temporary Food License. This may include food that is served free to the public. Please feel free to contact us at 517-264-5214 to discuss whether a license is necessary. 

Temporary food service guidance and licensing documents:  

Submit the application and appropriate fee (fees are listed in the Guidelines) at least 5 business days prior to the first day of operation (this includes food preparation prior to opening to the public). If your application and fee are not received 5 business days prior to operating your temporary food event, you will be assessed a late fee. You must be inspected the first day you begin preparing food.  

Non-Smoking Sign (PDF) - must be posted at every entrance of the licensed establishment. All temporary food service seating areas intended for the consumption of food must also have signs posted.