Future Marriage License Applicants
The following is a summary of the marriage laws of Michigan for both residents and
- Michigan residents must apply in the county of residence of one of the applicants. Non-residents must be married in the county where they make application.
- Both applicants must be 18 years of age. Exception may be made for applicants 16 and 17 years of age, provided one of his/her parents or legal guardians executes a consent form. (If a legal guardian signs, he must show guardianship papers, and in the case of divorce, the custodial parent must sign the form.)
- Valid identification is required for the person(s) making application. Valid identification may consist of a current drivers license or state ID.
- On January 1, 2001, Michigan’s Premarital law (Public Act 209 of 2000) went into effect. This law eliminated the requirement for the blood test or premarital counseling of couples applying for a marriage license. Instead, the law requires that couples be provided educational materials on prenatal care, and on the transmission and prevention of venereal disease and HIV infection.
- Once the above requirements have been met, the couple may apply for their license. One applicant may make the application as long as he/she has the necessary information for both parties. After the application has been made, there is a 3 day waiting period. The waiting period consists of three days, not including the day of application. The license may be picked up on or after the third day after application unless that day is a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday. In this case, the license may be picked up on the first working day after the weekend or holiday. The license is valid for 33 days from the date of application.
- The fee is $20 for Michigan residents and $30 for out-of-state residents. Michigan marriage licenses must be used in the State of Michigan.
- The Lenawee County Clerk's hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Closed from 12-1 for lunch.
Information that will be needed at the time of application can be printed off below. Please be prepared to give this information when you come to the office to apply for a marriage license. Thank you.
Affidavit for License to Marry (PDF)